Monday, July 14, 2008






I have tried my hand at another homemaker skill this past week and that was making jam. Fred Meyer had a great sale on raspberries and so I decided that I would make jam. I also wanted to make strawberry jam, since that's Gordon's favorite, but I had a really hard time finding berries. The weather this year has been pretty bad on produce, so the awesome little strawberry stands were not open, but I found semi-local strawberries at a little country store. They also had delicious looking raspberries and I bought a small container, since they were outrageously expensive, just to eat while I was making the jam.
I started actually getting things ready to can around 6:00pm and finished around 11:30pm after I had cleaned up, etc. Ty and Tori came over and helped. Tyson loved smashing the raspberries. So far I've had positive comments from family members....they could possibly just be being nice. But I think it tastes pretty good too. I wasn't sure how much the fruit would actually make, but it ended up making a bit more that I thought. We'll have jam for a while in storage.. hurrah! Summer and Monica will have to help pick some blackberries in a few weeks and we'll do some more jam and put aside some for the winter for cobblers!



Anyway, I have pics of my kitchen during the process and the final product!
If I can can, so can you!





4 comments:

John, Tish and Peyton Maughan said...

Awesome jam!!!

Annie said...

I am VERY impressed. I have thought about making jam - but have never had the guts! Well Done!

The George's said...

Way to go. Can't wait to taste it.

summer and ricky said...

it is really good jam! now you're going to have to make it every year.