Monday, June 8, 2009

Avocado Tree!


Remember when we were kids and we would take an avocado seed and prop it up in a glass with toothpicks and wait for it to grow? Ok, so I don't ever remember it actually sprouting, but it was always something that we did. Well, I am proud to say that I have finally had success by having an avocado sprout! Jude and I prepped the seed and placed it in the window sill in the kitchen. I have emptied the glass and put in new water every so often, and to my amazement, we actually have a living growing avocado tree!!! I took these pictures of it before Gordon planted it in a pot on the back porch. I read that they are very temper mental and you have to pull them indoors when it starts to cool down, so we'll see how long it actually makes it, but it's still pretty cool!

4 comments:

The George's said...

That is so cool. I hope you get avacados.

John, Tish and Peyton Maughan said...

Soooo, what did you do to "prep" them???

Gotolson said...

You know the usual. Jab three toothpicks in it to suspend it at the top of the glass and added water.

Tiana Johnson said...

Hey! I can never get mine to sprout! Daisha has one that she keeps indoors always, and it seems to like it. You might try that so it doesn't die. How lucky that it grew!!!