Monday, June 1, 2009

Bring it on!

The thunderstorm last night was wild! We sat on the back porch (that Gordon built) for quite a while last night just watching and listening, until the real rain and wind started! Our power went out several times, so we just turned everything off and waited for it to be steady again. It took a while before it came back on for good. Jude decided that he would go ahead and put on his PJ's when the wind really started to blow, but he didn't want to go into his dark room alone, so I went with him. His window faces the south and I opened his curtains to let some light in and realized that the wind had really picked up, so we ran outside and took down my hanging plants so that they wouldn't end up in the neighbors yard or worse...ruined! I have finally gotten fuchsias to grow in my hanging pots and they are just blooming and they are gorgeous, so I am a little over protective! Gordon says I shouldn't worry about it because I will stop watering them and they will all die, so I'm determined to prove him wrong, my stubbornness will rear it's ugly face on this one!
Anyway, here are some pictures of the front yard just after the heaviest wind and rain. It's still pretty strong, see the branches on my tree? It actually stood up to the wind and it still looks pretty good this morning. My purple clematis that I am especially surprised at how nicely it is growing this year got knocked around by the wind, but it still has blossoms this morning. The other picture is of the rain gutter just above the clematis. The rain was pounding down and filled our gutters up instantly and then just blew out of them in streams!



2 comments:

The George's said...

You were smart to get your camera out. We loved sitting on the porch last night watching and listening to the storm.

John, Tish and Peyton Maughan said...

That's great! I loved having a good storm come through! Yes, it hit us too! Patio table and chairs went flying, but everything survived in the end!